by Leva Duell
Are you wasting time making headers that don’t look as good as they should?
Here are some options to get quality, professional headers:
1. Use header templates
The header templates include a variety of professionally-designed, quality header graphics. Typically, these come as hop files that you can change to suit your needs.
Here’s how it works:
- Open hop or other graphics program. Gimp is a free alternative to hop. Gimp can open PSD files and works well for creating headers and other web images.
- Select one of the templates.
- Type in your text, choose a special effect for your text such as bevel text or a drop shadow, and choose a color.
- Add, delete, or replace images if you want to or leave them the way they are.
- Save your header as a gif, jpg or bmp file.
- Upload the header to your web site. That’s it!
Using templates gives you more flexibility than header software but requires at least some basic experience with graphics programs.
2. Use specialized header software
Specialized header software makes it easy to create a good-looking header for your web site without graphic design experience. You can design website headers in just minutes. Here’s the simple steps you take when using header software: 1. Open the program. 2. Select a graphic that comes with the program or you use your own. Using your own images and photos will make your header unique and allows you to create headers that are targeted to your products.
3. Type in your text, choose a special effect for your text such as bevel text or a drop shadow, and choose a color. 4. Save your header as a gif, jpg or bmp file. 5. Upload the image to your web site.
As you can see, using header software is similar to using header templates but you use the specialized software instead of a graphics program like hop. Header software is easier to use for people with little graphics experience but does not give you all the bells and whistles that hop provides.
3. Hire a professional graphic designer who has experience in creating web graphics
This option allows you to focus your time and energy on generating your web content and marketing your site. The cost will add up if you have a several sites.
4. Design your own header graphic with a graphics program
The final option is to create a header yourself, from scratch. You can create headers in hop and similar graphics software. Obviously, you will need a considerable amount of skill and experience in graphic design and in using graphics software. If you’re not experienced with graphics programs, you will go through a steep a learning curve and you may not get the results you want.
Use the option that best fits your experience and needs.